Friday, October 5, 2007

He's a handful sometimes




(picture from the other night. The dark red tube you see is his blood transfusion. You may notice that his lip looks funny. He doesn't have clef lip. It was just the way the tape was pulling his poor little lip. After we noticed that it was being pulled like that, we told the nurse and she retaped it. Thank you Tina!!) Colby continues to do well as of our checkup last night. He looked well, had good color and very active. His feedings are now up to 4.5 cc's an hour.

He's quite a handful for the nurses at times. Mostly because of his oxygen level. When it dips at times they need to check on him and adjust the level of oxygen that his ventilator is giving him. He also somehow pulled the little monitor which keeps track of his body temp off himself the other night. This acts somewhat as a thermostat. If it reads that his body is cold (i.e. if it's pulled of his body), the incubator heats up, trying to keep his little body warm. Being off his body it was registering that he was cold and thus turned his little incubator into a mini sauna. The nurses saw what was happening and had to open his little doors and fan air around him.

They also had tried to decrease the number of breaths the respirator gave him the night before last, but he didn't seem to like that. His blood oxygen levels went down again. So they'll chalk it up that they tried and turned it back up.
He gained another ounce yesterday. Other than that, relatively little news. That in many ways is a good thing.

We had the nurse last night that we had the other day. But she was 100% better. Maybe she was just having an off day. Everyone has them from time to time.

I continue to be amazed at how many people are following Colby's story now. I know I must sound like a broken record, but I just keep meeting more and more people who say they've heard his story or that they are keeping up on his blog. It makes me feel good to know that so many people care enough to take time out of their day to read the latest news on our little boy. When I see him each evening I update him on who I've talked to and who's pulling for him. I tell him that he's famous and that he may be the littlest celebrity around! It will be wonderful some day to be able to tell him about his journey, of his parent's dedication, his own strength and the thoughtfulness of so many people he hadn't even met yet.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

It looks like he's getting to be a bit more than a handful now!!! He is such a beautiful little boy!

I hope that things continue to go well!

Anonymous said...

He'll be an armful before you know it. Lots of love and prayers are being sent your way!

Anonymous said...

I am definately a "Colby follower". I look forward to the updates. It makes my day to hear that Colby is doing well. I can't wait to meet him someday soon! Love and prayers to you all.

Anonymous said...

A note for Colby from Hannah Foster...I can't wait to play with you at Auntie Carole's...
All my love,
Hannah

Anonymous said...

Good picture Bud. You and Tracey are incredible parents; Colby is so lucky to have you both. Our continued love and support is with you always.

P.S. Hamilton loves camp, but misses you.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad colby is doing better. I want you both to know all 3 of you are in my thoughts and prayers.


god bless all of you,

hugs,
Linda

Anonymous said...

Soon he'll be an armful plus a handful! He's such a beautiful boy.