Thursday, December 11, 2008

...and a couple more things...

I forgot to mention a couple things about Colby's recent "adventure". I finally asked the doctor about his PVL. For those who don't remember, PVL is essentially dead spots in the brain. A severe brain bleed can cause areas of the brain to die. At first we were told that we should feel lucky because Colby didn't have any PVL. Then months later, when talking with the neurosurgeon, I made the comment that he made it through his brain bleed without any PVL. The neurosurgeon corrected me and stated that he did if fact have some PVL. I was so in shock that I didn't think to ask how severe it was. It can be little spots the size of sand or huge areas of the brain. So, I figured as long as I had the neurosurgeon's in the room, I'd ask. He said it was very minor. That's all I needed to hear. I don't care where in the brain it is, exactly how much...etc. That simply put my fears to rest.
Secondly, some of you may recall that before Colby had his shunt placed this past February, they first tried a third ventricalostomy when they when through the top of his head, down through his brain, through the ventricle to the bottom and cut a small hole in the bottom to allow the cerebral fluid to drain. At first it seemed like it was working. Then we noticed his head was starting to get larger again and the CAT scan showed that it failed. Well apparently the success rate for a third ventricalostomy is rather low for children under 2 years of age. But the success rate increased dramatically as the individual gets older. So in the event that Colby's shunt malfunctions in the future, they may try another third ventricalostomy to avoid having to deal with a shunt.
So that's it. Just a couple other rather important details that I forgot to mention.
Colby continues to do well. Birth to three came this morning and said he is lacking in upper body strength. Tracey or I could have told them that. He have never liked pushing himself up. So we need to work on that.
He isn't eating too much since he came home from the hospital. And even prior to that he's been a very picky eater. That's not like him. So the doctor today told us to start keeping track of how much he's eating and what he's eating. It's funny how you never know how things may change. We were counting our blessings that he was a good eater...now he's apparently changed his mind. We'll just have to do what we can to tackle that and get him back on track!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read this post and was like ???? Then a read the previous ones...sorry to hear the little guy was sick, I'm glad they were able to replace his tubing and make him all better. Hopefully, you and Tracey were able to catch up on your sleep. I'm glad your PVL question was answered and with the best response possible. Enjoy the weekend. I'm so happy Colby is back to his cute self :)

Unknown said...

One day after another and one foot in front of the other, that's all preemie parents can do. It's a long road and you both are doing a great job.

Jamie, Jordan, and Maleia said...

He will get his appetite back soon, and glad to hear that they can try the third ventricalostomy when he gets older.

Hope you all are doing well!!! :)