Merry Christmas everyone! I hope everyone is able to enjoy the time with their families, reflect upon the memories of this past year and look forward to the year to come.
Life never seems to go the way you planned..... Tracey and I have really been running on empty lately. It's the holiday season and all that goes with that. I'm burnt from the past couple months at work. Just two weeks ago Colby's shunt malfunctioned. We just need a break and to get away. We had planned to see my family tonight. Then come back home and host Tracey's family tomorrow. Then Friday we were headed up to Maine to get a couple days of R&R. I've planned to take a little over a week off from work to recharge and rediscover a balance in life. We were both soooooooooooo looking forward to getting things back the way they need to be.
Last night, around 11:45 Colby woke up crying. Nothing too bad, just him crying in bed. I thought maybe he was hungry as he didn't finish his bottle before going to bed last night. So I came into the living room, headed a bottle for him and tried to give him some. He wanted nothing of it. He was just crying and not himself. Then, he started throwing up. He fussed in my arms until he fell asleep. Tracey laid down with him on the couch and slept with him most of the night. This morning, things seemed normal enough. He took his bottle and ate most of it. Then, out of the blue, he threw it all up. If you know the smell of formula, think of that, warm....mixed with the throw up smell. Yeah..good times. He emptied his belly and was a bit groggy. So we put him down for a nap.
Tracey and I had talked last night that if he threw up again, we were going to call his neurosurgeon as this is how things started two week ago. We called his neurosurgeon and were told to try smaller amounts of diluted pedialite. If he can't keep that down, to call him back. This is the same way things began last time. He was himself, but just kept throwing up. Then as things progresses, he weakened and became very lethargic.
Colby is now up and playing on the floor. Seems much like his normal self, but a bit pale and quiet. I'm going to wait until 10:30 and try to feed him a couple ounces. I then need to stay close to him with a bucket in the event things don't stay down. Then I'll try again at 11:30 and 12:30.
So this pretty much derails our plans. If Colby has a touch of the bug, we don't want him around people tonight and tomorrow. If it does turn out to be his shunt, well, we'll spend another X-mas in the hospital....that will make two years in a row....I wonder if he'll get a prize or something. At least that's what I'm telling Colby to keep his little spirits up. Either way though, I think we'll need put all our plans this week on hold until we have a better understanding of what direction this will take.
This isn't what we had planned. But just like many other events over the past year and 1/2,we'll make the best of things and get through it.