Thursday, November 8, 2007

He's a lil' stinker!


(Colby says "Hehe, I pooped") (And now he's tuckered out ..... again.)
(My little boy)


And that's a very good thing. He finally pooped. Should I really say "Yippieeeeee" to that? Well, given his situation...YIPPPIEEEEEE! Other than that, not much to report. I'm going to call in this evening to see if they've started feeding him. I'll head over there tomorrow night after my day is done and spend some time with him.
I'm really hopeful that once Colby starts eating, he'll gain weight and strength. If he can continue to eat without any issues, we'll move to to "Special Care". Then it will be tackling the cannula and trying to get him off that. The doctors said that's a slow process that will take a couple weeks once he's ready. But we'll be there for him no matter what.

From day one, I've been big into giving Colby little massages. I'm no doctor but I have to believe that touch is a great stimulant for him. Most babies are held for a good part of the day. NICU babies are in incubators for hours on end with the only interaction being when nurses and doctors check him or when we're there. The nurses and doctors are very caring and loving towards the babies. And we spend as much time as we can with him. But it's nothing like the "normal" interaction that a baby has. So when I'm there, I love to hold his little hand, rub his arm or head. He doesn't seem to like his back rubbed much. He really seems to like his arms rubbed though. I'll hold his arm between my index and pointer finger and gently roll his arm back and forth. He'll stare at what's going on then usually his eyes get heavy. We also want to find some pictures or something for him to look at. I'm very interested to know more about the intervention and therapy we can do once he's able to be with us more to help him catch up as best he can. That will all come in time I guess.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY!!! Poop is great!!! :D Way to go Colby!!!

It is crazy how exciting it is when your baby poops, after they have intestinal surgery. But, we have been there and know just what it means. It is one step, a BIG step, closer for them to come home!!! Keep it up little guy. :)

GOD BLESS,
Jamie, Jordan, and Maleia

Unknown said...

Poop!! Good for Colby! Glad to hear he is still doing well. I hope he continues to well as always.